I know I’ve written a lot about M’s various therapists and challenges and I think it’s so easy to get caught up in all the ways he’s still behind that we can forget to celebrate the successes. I want to take a moment to share his progress. When M started therapy at 17.5 months, he had no words or signs. He didn’t respond to any commands either. When he started school at the end of September (19.5 months), he had a few signs and could speak 2 words. Now, at 25 months, he’s talking! Actually scratch that: my little boy is COMMUNICATING!
Here are some things that the Menininho can do now:
– He has about 50 words.
– When Baby J cries, sometimes M will bring me his binky, and that’s without me asking!
– While grocery shopping with Mark on Saturday, M spontaneously said “I. Waaa. Caacaas.” He’d seen some animal crackers and heaven knows how much he loves those. We don’t normally buy them, but with a request like that, who could resist?
– M will point to my computer and demand zuh-zee (music, and not to be confused with shooshee, his word for Rice Krispies, or Sheesh, his blanket). Even better? He can now request one of three songs: doggy (his current favorite), monkey, or ah.
– He loves to label things and will continue saying a word over and over until we agree that yes, that IS a hand, or a baby, etc.
– One of his current obsessions is the alphabet and he’s learned probably 2/3 of the letters, maybe more. M points them out everywhere.
– M isn’t shy about proclaiming “uh-DUH” (all done) or NO!