I’ve decided to do an occasional Marfan trivia day. I’ll provide a few clues as to the identity of a person who is reasonably believed to have/have had Marfan syndrome. I define reasonably believed as 1) multiple sources have stated the diagnosis, 2) the National Marfan Foundation has never said otherwise, and 3) the person in question has never disputed the diagnosis. (Read: Michael Phelps will never be featured here. He does NOT have Marfan and if you’re bored & want to hear my rant on that just ask, but I won’t take up space here today.)
So, see if you can guess who the Marf of the Monday is. Leave your guess in the comments, and I’ll post the answer on Wednesday!
1) This Marf hailed from California.
2) She wore a size 12 sneaker.
3) By 17, she was 6’5’’.
4) She once said “You can go to school when you’re 60. You’re only young once, and you can only do this once.”
5) She was the University of Houston’s first female scholarship athlete.
6) This Marf appeared in a 1985 movie.
7) Her specialty move was the “Flying Clutchman.”
8 ) She was an Olympian.
9) She died from an aortic dissection, and her autopsy revealed she had survived a smaller tear a few weeks before.
10) She did NOT know that she had Marfan; the diagnosis was made during the autopsy.